Updated May 16, 2019
THE "GRACIE TREE"
WARNING to those using a small device -- The Gracie Tree will require side-scrolling.
This is a text listing of the "Gracie Tree"
(see a very large-size scan)
which displays the ancestors of Alexander Dobie, of Tinwald, Dumfriesshire,
Scotland, cir 1560, in the form of a tree.
In addition to the information on the tree, data has been
added from a Clan Dobie transcript of notes supplied by Percy
Dobie, Chester, which are said to be all references to "Dobie"
contained in Tinwald Records at the registry Office, Edinburgh, 17.5.1944.
On preparing this list, it soon became evident that more
attention was paid to artistry than to genealogy. Several people
were placed on the trunk of the tree without any indication of
their connection to the original Alexander. One man placed near
the top of the tree was at least a generation older than the man below him if the information is correct.
Consequently, this list has been broken into five smaller trees; the work of connecting everyone is a task for
someone with the time and patience to dig through Scottish records.
There is no way to check the validity of any of this
information, plus there is a possibility of transcription errors as
this list was transcribed from a photocopy of a drawing which was manually copied
from another which in turn was copied from another -- the tree is
inscribed at the bottom: "Copied from drawing by Rod M. Whitm(o)re,
Dumfries, 1944, from tree compiled by James Campell (sic) Gracie,
Dumfries, 1873." The drawing is signed and dated at the bottom: "1972, Margaret Anthony Dobie".
The tree is represented sitting on a large inverted pot, on which is written the following:
"The Ancestors of the family of Dobie of Dumfries-shire are
here only traced from the Reformation. The name originally French
-- a Wood was early translated into its Saxon synonym of Wood (in
England). It was DeBois or DuBois the name of the celebrated
French Cardinal, and of Anthony a Wood, the Historian of Oxford.
In 1303, Edward I completed his conquest of Scotland;
DeBois, Governor of Urqulgar Castle, and his men, after a brave
defence, were put to death -- says Boece --
and this is the first authentic date of the name of Dobie in Scotland."
It finally ocurred to me to search for the place names mentioned in this chart, so I bought four ordinance
survey maps of the Dumfriesshire area. I found a Dalruscan about
five miles north of Locharbriggs, which itself is about three miles
north of Dumfries. It looks like it may be only one farm or a
small complex of farm buildings. Kelwood is about 5km south-east of Dumfries, and seems to be a farm.
See photos of Dalruscan farm taken in May 2007, by Robert Dobie.
See detailed street maps of any location in Great Britain.
October 5, 2000 : At long last, a response to this listing on this website!
Geoff Miller --
(his email address no longer works) --
in Australia is a descendant of
William Dobie and Ann Wilkins as listed in Part Five of the
Gracie Tree, below. With his permission, his updated information has been added there.
He says in part: "Thought you might like to know that the family tree that our family has
was brought over by William (Miller) from England and is framed. It has only been copied
once and that was by my father in 1985. Also James Campbell Gracie spells his name with a
"b" which I note yours doesn't. There are a few differences between what you have and what
is written on our tree:
-- On our tree our branch comes out from "Alexander Dobie, Farmer in Tinwald in 1720."
-- We have no note saying it is in the posession of a solicitor.
-- We have John Dobie (b. 1793) married Elizabeth Ease?ose in 1820.
March 7, 2002 : A response received from
Michael Cooke (email valid as of Jan. 10, 2018)
in England, with some detailed information on the family of Alexander Dobie and
Janet/Jessie Sloan, transcribed as an appendix to Part One of the
Gracie Tree, below.
April 13, 2003 : Michael sent me an update to the
above information so I've made the appropriate changes to the appendix.
Dec. 2003 thru Feb. 2004 :
(email valid as of Jan. 10, 2018)
sent me a wealth of material including photographs,
which details two Dobie - Byers connections. These people also connect with Michael Cooke's people, above.
I've updated the text for now, and promise to add the many photos as time permits.
Feb. 13, 2004 :
Graeme Wall --
(his old email address no longer works) --
sent me details about the Robson family who have
many marriages with Dobies listed in the Gracie Tree. Members of the Robson family emigrated to
Argentina where at least another marriage with a Dobie took place.
July 27, 2004 :
Michael Cooke (email valid as of Jan. 10, 2018)
(see March 7, 2002 above) sent me a photo of the family of Alexander Dobie and Janet Sloan taken at their Hitchell (sometimes called
Hitchill) farm. (See the photo) or (See the listing).
July 13, 2005 : Data from the 1881 census was added to several people. (Per LDS Church CDROM). You can find them by searching
this page for "1881" with your web browser.
July 18, 2005 :
Michael Cooke (email valid as of Jan. 10, 2018)
(see March 7, 2002 and July 27, 2004 above) has elaborated on the 1881 census data I provided for the family of
Alexander Dobie and Janet Sloan.
November 23, 2006 :
who lives in Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, sent me an update on the descendants of
Robert Flint Dobie, who was another son of Alexander Dobie and Janet Sloan.
It has been inserted into Michael Cooke's update (see item above).
January 23, 2007 :
Derrick Bell (EMAIL BOUNCES AS OF Sept. 18, 2018)
sent me more information on a letter written by John Dobie of Hardbush,
Dumfries, to Walter Bell of Mirimachi, New Brunswick. I suspect the letter-writing John Dobie was the husband of
Marion Burgess, and I've put a link to the letter in the data on this family.
How were the Dobie and Bell families linked?
February 16 to 23, & March 7 to 9, 2007 :
is another descendant of the Hitchell or Hitchill Farm group. She has provided a slightly different version of the names in
Cooke's photograph (see July 27, 2004, above). She and Michael have provided additional photos, so there are now a
total of seven photos related to the Hitchell Farm people.
(See the photos of the family of Alexander Dobie & Janet Sloan).
(See the family of Mary Margaret Dobie & Isaac Helme)
(See the obituary of John Archibald Dobie of Hitchel Farm).
December 1 & 2, 2007 :
provided me with information about the two daughters of
Agnes Dobie and Andrew Telfer -- they and
their father were in Toronto in 1893 and 1894, proven by scans of marriage and birth records she sent me.
I've added this information and will start looking for more.
December 9, 2007 :
The arrival of my Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society Newsletter brought news of
a new on-line database
created by the Langholm Archive Centre. The index of the Eskdale and Liddlesdale Advertiser, which started
publication in 1848, contains a great many of the people mentioned below in this Gracie Tree. Where possible, I've
added dates and other information obtained from this database, and marked them "per L.A.C."
September 9, 2008 :
of South Africa, emailed me with information about
Isabella Jane Anderson Dobie, the eldest daughter of
Alexander Dobie and Janet/Jessie Sloan. She and her husband Samuel Boyd and their children left Scotland soon
after 1901 for South Africa, where many of their descendants still live.
September 19, 2008 :
Michael Cooke (email valid as of Jan. 10, 2018)
(see March 7, 2002, July 27, 2004, and July 18, 2005 above) sent more updates on the family of
Alexander Dobie and Janet Sloan -- specifically on the descendants of
their seventh child, James Alexander Dobie and his wife Janet McFadzean.
September 19, 2008 :
Ish Alvardo sent me new and revised information on
Robert Dobie and (1) Mary Little, (2)Janet McMurdo.
October 18, 2008 :
in Australia sent me information about John Dobie, son of Hugh Dobie & Margaret Scott,
who are listed in Part Three of the Gracie Tree.
September 4 & 21, 2009 :
in Ontario, Canada, sent me updated information and a photograph of the Byers family listed in
Part One of the Gracie Tree. I've updated the text but the photograph will
have to join the queue.
I still haven't posted Ian Reveler's photos of this family (see Feb. 2004 above).
Revised May 16, 2019 :
In 2009 I discovered the Community Trees section on the
familysearch.org website. Enter Dobie into the "Last Names" search field, then scroll down and look
at the area on the left of the screen and filter the results
by clicking the "Community Trees" box. The source of much of the info is
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae -- lineage linked families for ministers of the
Church of Scotland from the Reformation. I made some additions based on this database and marked them
with LDS-CT in the left margin.
TOP OF PAGE
The "Gracie Tree", Part One
- Alexander Dobie. He was an elder in the first Kirk Session of the
first Parish Minister after the Reformation, 1560-1570.
- Hugh Dobie. Farmer and elder in Tinwald.
- Alexander Dobie d. __-___-1636, Tinwald.
- Alexander Dobie. There are two Alexander Dobies on the trunk, one "Farmer and Communicant in Tinwald,
1718" and the other "Farmer in Tinwald in 1720". They have been combined into the same person here,
as there is no way of knowing if they were father and son. There could be up to four generations missing
- John Dobie b. __-___-1718, m. Mary Glover, b. __-___-1718, d. 11-Feb-1799. John died
28-Jul-1807. The Clan Dobie of North America
Middlesex Co., Ontario line has been well documented at least to this marriage.
- Alexander Dobie b. __-___-1758, m. Ann Swan, d. 7-Feb-1799, Woodside.
- James Dobie b. __-Apr-1799, d. 11-May-1800.
- Hugh Dobie b. about 1720, m. Jean Glover, b. about 1720, d. 15-May-1780, Dalruskin. Hugh
died 14-Feb-1790, Barshirr. Gracie Tree says issue but none listed.
- William Dobie b. 1724, m.(1) Jean Bell, b. 1737, d. 22-Sep-1772,
m.(2) Jane Jardine, b. 1746, d. 2-Aug-1829. William died 25-Sep-1814. Issue in Dalruskin.
- James Dobie (son of William Dobie and Jean Bell) m. in Dalruskin, Sarah Bell.
- Alexander Dobie b. 1766, m. in Dalruskin, Mary Ferguson.
- Elizabeth Dobie b. 18-Apr-1799.
- William Dobie b. 1768, m. in Dalruskin, Janet Jardine.
- Rebecca Dobie b. 28-Aug-1798.
- Jean Dobie Died young.
- Rebecca Dobie b. 9-Apr-1769.
- Alexander Dobie (son of William Dobie and Jean Bell) b. 1748,
m. Jean Black, b. 1754, d. 19-Apr-1828. Alexander d. 12-Dec-1827, Hardbush or Tinwald.
- John Dobie b. 1767, m. Mary Johnstone, b. 1769, d. 22-Mar-1836. John died
7-Feb-1806, Bankend. This date is suspect as his mother would have been only 13.
Gracie Tree says he had children.
- James Dobie b. 1789, m. Jane Anderson, b. 1791,
d. 25-Oct-1846. James died 13-Dec-1848, Lanarkland.
- John Dobie. Married.
- Margaret Dobie, m.(1) J. Dalziel, m.(2) James McKinnol. Had 1 daughter.
- January 29, 2004 :
Information on the Byers family was kindly provided by
David Byers 1803-1868, m. Mary Dobie 1815-1900
- James, d. July 18, 1854 age 3 yrs
- Jane, 1849-1933, m. Alexander Fleeley 1846-1922
- Robert, d. April 5, 1872 age 19 yrs
- Jessie, d. April 11, 1872 age 17 yrs
- David James, 1856-1924, m. Janet Dobie 1888-1941. See details of this family.
- William French, 1858-1914, m. Mary Ann Gamble, 1870-1961
- James Dobie. To Australia.
- Jane Dobie, m. Unknown Walker. Jane died
2-Sep-1861. Had 2 sons, 1 daughter. unknown: In or of Westmorland.
- March 7, 2002; April 13, 2003; Jan, 2004;
Feb., 2007; Sept., 2008.
New information for this family was kindly provided by Michael Cooke,
The original Gracie Tree entry has been left intact
-- [click here to see this update].
Alexander Dobie, occupation: Merchant in Dumfries, m.
Janet Sloun. Janet: Of Horseholm Carlaverock.
- Mary Margaret Dobie.
- Isabella Jane Anderson Dobie.
- Janet Patterson Dobie.
- James Dobie, d. 1-Aug-1870.
- Mary Dobie, b. Bankend.
- Alexander Dobie, b. 13-May-1804, d. 1805.
- Mary Dobie (daughter of William Dobie and Jean Bell).
- Jean Dobie (daughter of William Dobie and Jane Jardine) Died an infant.
- Robert Dobie (son of William Dobie and Jane Jardine) Died with no issue.
- John Dobie (son of William Dobie and Jane Jardine).
- William Dobie (son of William Dobie and Jane Jardine).
- Andrew Dobie (son of William Dobie and Jane Jardine).
- Agnes Dobie (daughter of William Dobie and Jane Jardine).
- Rebecca Dobie (daughter of William Dobie and Jane Jardine) m. in Kelwood, Thomas Aitcheson.
- Margaret Aitcheson m. Robert Currie.
- Thomas Aitcheson Currie. Occupation: Bookseller, Painter
and Gilder in Dumfries, m. Agnes Ronald. Thomas's age stated as 53 (b. 1828), Agnes' as 58.
(b. 1823) in the 1881 census. Both born in Dumfries.
- Margaret Aitcheson Currie. Age 22 in 1881 (b. 1859).
- infant Died.
- Robert Currie. Married with children.
- Rebecca Currie. Died.
- Jane Currie. Died.
- Marion Currie. Died.
- Archibald Currie. Died.
- Adam Currie. Died.
- Rebecca Currie. Died.
- William Currie. Died.
- Jane Aitcheson.
- John Aitcheson.
- Janet Aitcheson.
- William Aitcheson.
- Robert Aitcheson.
- Agnes Aitcheson.
- Mary Aitcheson m. Thomas Johnstone, occupation: Writer of Dumfries.
Thomas: Chart says issue.
- Rebecca Aitcheson
- Adam Aitcheson
- James Aitcheson
- Thomas Aitcheson
- Thomas Dobie m. Mary Robson. Thomas died 19-May-1817.
- Mary Dobie b. __-___-1775, d. 6-Oct-1840. No children.
- James Dobie m. Unknown, d. 1783. James died 1770.
The connection between this James and this particular Alexander as
father isn't certain due to the artistry on the tree.
- John Dobie d. __-___-1820, Ross of Kirkmichael. No children.
- Susan Dobie, m. Joseph Bell, b. __-___-1750, d.
14-Oct-1832. Susan died 23-Apr-1849. Joseph: Of Nethernall.
- John Bell b. __-___-1796, d. 26-Jan-1829. No children.
- William Bell b. __-___-1800, d. 6-Dec-1835. No children.
- Mary Bell b. __-___-1806, d. 8-Feb-1828. No children.
- Margaret Bell b. __-___-1807, d. 27-Jun-1827. No children.
TOP OF PAGE
Descendants of Alexander Dobie & Janet Sloan
Originally submitted by Michael Cooke,
and with additional information added as noted.
(See the original Gracie Tree entry for this family)
See also a snapshot of this family in the 1881 Census, immediately after the data below.
- Alexander Dobie, b. 12/01/1828 (Lanarkland farm) d. 05/06/1904 (Hitchill
farm, Cummertrees), buried Caerlaverock. Married 1863 in Mousewald,
to Janet/Jessie Sloan, b. 11/10/1838 (Horseholm) d. 22/02/1906,
buried Caerlaverock. She was the daughter of Archibald Sloan and Janet
Paterson. Note: Horseholm is a farm close to Caerlaverock church yard
where the Sloan family grave can be found.
As well as a merchant . . . Alexander also farmed the Hitchill, a
farm near Cummertrees. His descendants continued to do so until
relatively recently. See photographs of this family.
- September, 2008 :
Information on the family of Isabella Jane Anderson
Dobie was kindly provided by
Isabella Jane Anderson Dobie, b. 21/09/1865, d. 1928, married
(12/06/1883) Samuel Boyd, b. 13/11/1854 in Parish of Ruthwell, Dumfries,
d. 1931 in Ixopo District, Natal. He was a chemist and druggist. They
moved to South Africa sometime after the 1901 British census, where they were
recorded as "in residence" at "The Glint", Annan, (Line 3 role CSSCT 1901_427).
See photos and a short history of this family sent by
- Muriel Boyd, b. circa 1885, married unknown Gold.
- Jessie Boyd, b. circa 1892
- Samuel G. Boyd, b. circa 1895
- Grace J. Boyd, b. circa 1900
- John Dodd Boyd, b. 18/07/1907 in South Africa, in either Ixopo or Harding,
Natal, d. 08/08/1945. He married Mary (Mollie) Evelyn Meumann at Piet
Retief, in 1928. He was a magistrate in the South African Justice Department.
- John Hylton Boyd, b. 24/06/1929 in Dundee Natal, pharmacist (retired)
- Dudley Victor Boyd, b. 01/09/1940 in Roodepoort Transvaal (Gauteng),
- Jean Mary Boyd, b. 10/02/1942 in Pinetown, Natal, teacher and lecturer
(retired), married Graham Ward.
There are children and grandchildren in London, Brussels, Budapest, Perth,
Auckland, East London (Eastern Cape) and Pietermaritzburg in KwaZulu-Natal.
- January 2004 and September 2009 :
Information on this family was kindly provided by
. Some birth info is from the 1911 census.
Janet Patterson Dobie, b. 08/10/1867, d. 1941, m. David James Byers (1856-1924) in 1901.
The family farmed in Finch Township, near Winchester, in eastern Ontario,
- Robert Alexander (Alex) Byers, b. June 1902; d. 1949, m. Annie Mae Wagner 1900-1978
- Jessie Byers, d. April 19, 1904, age 5 months
- William Flint Byers, b. Jan. 1904; d. 1977, m. Agnes Maud Link, b. 03/07/1907,
d. 10/03/1999. They had 12 children, 11 of whom are still living in 2009.
- Dobie David Byers, b. March, 1907; d. 1967, m. Wife (possibly living, name omitted)
- Mary Jane Byers, d. July 9, 1911, age 1 yr 5 months
- Dougal Spencer Byers, 1912-1985, m. Wife (possibly living, name omitted).
- February, 2007 :
Information on the family of Mary Margaret Dobie was kindly provided by
Mary Margaret Dobie, b. 21/11/1868, d. 15 Sep 1952, Washington, USA
married 1900 at Hitchell Farm, Isaac Helme, b. 27 Sep 1872, Dalbeattie, Scotland,
d. 7 Dec 1955, Washington, USA.
- Norman McLeod Helme, b. 20 Mar 1902, Edinburgh, Scotland,
d. 27 Sep 1980, Oregon, USA. Married in 1930, Lempi Ellen Koykka,
b. 21 Sep 1905, Washington, USA, d. 22 Nov 1996, California, USA. Four children.
- Isabella Brown Helme, b. 11 Sep 1903, Dumfries, Scotland,
d. 6 Feb 1998, Washington, USA. Married in 1929, Otis Blair,
b. 22 Feb 1900, Washington, USA, d. 2 May 1985, Washington, USA. Three children.
- Jessie Sloan Helme, b. 17 Nov 1905, Dumfries, Scotland,
d. 4 Jan 1987, Oregon, USA. Married in 1945, Merrill Archie Webb,
b. 17 May 1909, Oregon, USA, d. 14 Feb 2005, Oregon, USA. One child.
- Grace Flint Helme, b. 29 Dec 1906, Dumfries, Scotland,
d. 20 Nov 1990, Washington, USA. Married in 1928, Joseph Stewart,
b. 11 Oct 1905, Wisconsin, USA, d. 10 Sep 1967, Washington, USA. One child.
- Margaret Watson Helme, b. 8 Mar 1910, Dumfries, Scotland,
d. Washington, USA. Married John Herb. One child who died in childbirth.
- James Alexander Dobie, b. 16/01/1870, d. 01/08/1870
- John Archibald Dobie, b. 04/08/1873, d. 09/10/1937
(Hitchill farm) buried Cummertrees. Married (01/06/1900)
Winifred Agnes Murray (of Cummertrees Mill), b. 24/02/1878, d. 30/04/1960.
See John Dobie's newspaper obituary.
- Isabella Margaret Dobie, b. 05/10/1900, d. 29/05/1975
married (12/10/1929) Leslie Scott Ritchie b. 06/02/1900, d. 04/07/1940
[Five presumably living children snipped]
- Jessie Sloan Dobie, b. 03/03/1902, d. 30/11/1961
- Winifred Agnes Dobie, b. 14/04/1903, d. 15/01/1981
- Janet Sloan Dobie, b. 18/01/1905, d. 03/08/1926
- Wilhelmina Dobie, b. 18/01/1906, d. 20/02/1995, m. Robert Broatch on 08/10/1930 in Cummertrees
- Helen Thomson Dobie, b. 30/04/1910, d. 16/10/1993
- John Archibald Dobie, b. 17/03/1913, d. 14/05/1975, m. Doris Muir
- Agnes Hunter Carson Sloan Dobie, b. 09/11/1914, d. 05/08/1999, m. James Steel Sloan
- Robert Wright Murray Dobie, b. 01/12/1918
- Grace Flint Dobie, b. 25/11/1878, d. 28/06/1884
- James Alexander Dobie, (the second time the name was used)
b. 20/07/1876, d. 27/07/1914 (accident at work) m. Janet McFadzean on 07/02/1902. Janet died 21/11/1922.
- Alexander Dobie, b. 03/05/1902 (Hitchell), m. Annie Mathieson on 29/06/1925
(ref: Scotstoun Renfrew).
- James Donald Mathieson Dobie, b. 28/07/1927, d. 25/11/1996. He was an Australian MP.
- James Stark Dobie, b. 24/07/1903 (Paisley)
- John McFadzean Dobie, b. 07/12/1905 (Partick).
- Robert Flint Dobie, b. 06/06/1880, married Agnes Violet unknown.
[ November 2006 :
Family info provided by Jason Dobie]
- Raymond Alexander Dobie, b. 1 August 1912, Matatiele, East Griqualand,
South Africa. Married 8 August 1942, Natal, South Africa to Millicent Smith, b. 23 December 1918, Natal.
- Two children, three grandchildren. Connected surname is Downing.
All live in South Africa.
- Henry Longfellow Dobie, b. 23/03/1882, d. 01/04/1947.
- William Porteous Dobie, b. Oct 1884, died 15 Dec 1884, age 2 months.
Michael Cooke's Dobie connection is through the Ritchie family.
Ref Kelwood mentioned on your web site. There is a farm of that name just off the road
between Dumfries and Bankend (roughly Long 3 degrees 32.5'W, Lat 55 degrees 01.5' N)
SNAPSHOT OF THE ABOVE FAMILY AT THE 1881 CENSUS
From the census listing below it can be seen that there was more than one Dobie-Sloan connection.
Michael Cooke has answered my question about the vistor Janet Sloan's relationship
to this family, but the same question still remains about the other visitor, James Dobie, blacksmith
-- what was his relationship, if any, to this family?
Census Place: Cummertrees, Dumfries, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0224046 GRO Ref Volume 817 EnumDist 4 Page 1
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Alexander DOBIE M 50 M Caerlaverock, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Head Occ: Farmer Of 235 Ac Of Which 225 Ara Emp 4 Men 2 Women & 1 Boy
Janet DOBIE M 40 F Caerlaverock, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Wife. Occ: Farmers Wife
Isabella J. DOBIE 15 F Caerlaverock, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
Janet P. DOBIE 13 F Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
Mary M. DOBIE 12 F Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar
John A. DOBIE 7 M Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Son Occ: Scholar
James A. DOBIE 4 M Cummertrees, Dumfries, Scotland
Grace F. DOBIE 2 F Cummertrees, Dumfries, Scotland
Robert F. DOBIE 10m M Cummertrees, Dumfries, Scotland
Janet A. SLOAN U 19 F Caerlaverock, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Visitor Occ: Farmers Dau
Michael Cooke says: "Janet A. Sloan I believe was Janet Ann Sloan, daughter of John
Porteous Sloan and Agnes Hunter. John P. Sloan was the brother to Janet (Sloan) Dobie.
You'll notice 'Hunter' is used as a middle name later in the Dobie tree. Janet Ann Sloan
married a David Patterson in 1886."
James DOBIE U 19 M N K, Kinross, Scotland
Rel: Visitor Occ: Blacksmith
Michael Cooke says: "As for James Dobie, a man of that name was born in Kinross in
January 1862 to a John Dobie. I'm not sure what (if any) link there is. James could have
been at the Hitchill as part of his work as a blacksmith."
William ARMSTRONG M 28 M N K, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Serv Occ: Farm Serv
William HOOD U 17 M N K, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Serv Occ: Farm Serv
John BRYDEN U 17 M N K, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Serv Occ: Farm Serv
Margaret ALLAN U 21 F N K, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Serv Occ: Dairymaid
Jane FARISH U 21 F N K, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Serv Occ: Gen Serv
TOP OF PAGE
The "Gracie Tree", Part Two
John Dobie m. Jean Lawson. It is not at all obvious who John's
parents were, but he is on the main tree trunk. Thus he and
his ancestors are not connected to the root of the main tree.
Jean: Relict of James Swan. However, two children, James and Robert,
were born 1790 and 1792, so they are children of the wrong
Swan or the Dobie children's birth dates are wrong, or they are the wrong children.
- Jean Dobie b. 24-Nov-1771, m. William Broach. Had
children. William: Name William from photocopy of notes
said to be transcripts of Tinwald records at Registry
office, provided by Clan Dobie. Residence given as Parkburn.
- Jane Broach b. 13-Jul-1811, Parkburn.
- Janet Broach b. 11-Oct-1813.
- James Dobie b. __-___-1775, d. 6-Dec-1855, Hardbush.
- William Dobie b. __-___-1776, m. Janet Dickson, b. about
1779, d. 7-Oct-1832, Kingholm Quay. William died 12-Jun-1854, Noblehill. William's branch on the tree is
drawn directly from John & Jean Lawson, but he is not included in the numbered (1 thru 11) children, so he may
not fit here. Janet: Relict of Mr. Martin, sister of Dr. Dixon, Roughill, Lockmartin.
- xxxx William Dobie b. __-___-1805, d. 6-Jan-1807, Roughill now Lochside.
- Jane Dobie m. James Scotland, occupation: Engineer. Jane died Southampton. Died at age 42.
- William Dobie b. __-___-1816, occupation: Merchant,
m. Anne Jeffrey. William died 30-Apr-1868. Was a merchant in Leith.
- Anna Dobie.
- John Dobie, occupation: Iron merchant, m. Agnes Stirling. Alive in 1875. Was an iron merchant in
Glasgow, b. of Laurel Park Uddingston.
- Jessie Dobie
- William Stirling Dobie
- John Dobie
- Robert J. Dobie, occupation: Merchant. Of Noblehill. Merchant Dumfries.
- Elizabeth Dobie At Noblehill.
- James Dobie, b. __-___-1810, d. 6-Jun-1838, At sea off Cape of Good Hope.
- Andrew Dobie, occupation: Iron monger, m. Elizabeth Gordon. Alive in 1875. Was an Ironmonger in
- William Dobie
- Anna Jeffrey Dobie. This seems an error. Probably a daughter of William Dobie & Anne Jeffrey.
- Alexander Dickson Dobie.
- Jessie Dobie m. Thomas Douglas Sproat, occupation: Merchant. Thomas: Merchant, b. of
Myrtle Park, Glasgow. Both were born in Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbright,
and they lived in Kirkintilloch, Dumbarton, Scotland at the time of the 1881 census.
- Alexander G. Sproat (b. 1870 in Cartiele, Cumberland, England)
- Douglas J. Sproat (b. 1872 in Cartiele, Cumberland, England)
- Adeline Jessie E. Sproat (b. 1873 in Cartiele, Cumberland, England)
- Anna C. Sproat (b. 1880 in Lenzie, Dunbarton, Scotland)
- Alice M. Sproat (b. 1880 in Lenzie, Dunbarton, Scotland)
- Alexander Dobie, b. __-___-1818, occupation:
Merchant, m. Angelina Agnes Smith. Alexander died 2-Jul-1865, Foochow, Pagoda Island, China.
- Henry Dobie
- Edith Dobie
- Robert Douglas Dobie
- Hugh Dobie, b. __-Feb-1779, d. 20-Jun-1779.
- John Dobie b. 19-Jun-1780, m. Marion Burgess, b. 1790, d. 29-Jul-1822.
John died 9-Jul-1823.
[I suspect but cannot prove that this is the John Dobie who wrote the
letter to Walter Bell].
- Robert Dobie b. 13-Mar-1810, Hardbush.
- Jane Dobie b. 14-Jul-1811, Hardbush, m. William Hunter.
- David Hunter b. 20-Jun-1834, Hardbush.
- Marion Burgess Hunter b. 13-Jun-1836, Hardbush.
- John Hunter b. 16-Jul-1838, Hardbush.
- Alexander Dobie b. 20-Jun-1815, Hardbush, d. 1860. No children.
- James Dobie b. 20-Apr-1817, Hardbush.
- Marion Dobie b. __-___-1821, d. 16-Dec-1824.
- Andrew Dobie b. 8-Nov-1783, d. Dinscore. No children.
- Mary Dobie b. 31-Dec-1785, d. Hardbush. No children.
- Thomas Dobie b. __-___-1788, d. 13-Sep-1812.
- Janet Dobie b. 9-Sep-1790, m. in Hardbush, unknown Craik. Had children.
- Hugh Dobie, b. 1-Jan-1794, d. 2 Jan. 1868; occupation: Minister; m.(1)
17 Aug. 1835, Amelia Eleanora Small, m.(2) 8 Mar 1842, Eliza
Goodsir. Hugh was minister of Kirkmichael and Garrel, Dumfriesshire.
- Amelia Jane Dobie, of Raperlaw, b. 28 Feb 1798, d. 3 Jun 1839
(daughter of Hugh Dobie and Amelia Eleanora Small).
- Madeline Henrietta Dobie, b. 29 Jan 1843 (daughter of Hugh Dobie and Eliza Goodsir.
- Alexander Dobie, of Raperlaw, b. 3 Jul 1847, d. 1885, Melbourne, Australia.
- Eliza Goodsir Dobie, b. 29 Oct 1849, d. 1915, Melrose; m. Samuel MacMillan, bank agent in Moffat.
- Jane Dobie, b. 3 Dec 1852; m. Herbert Luxmore Hallett.
- Elizabeth (Betty) Dobie b. 1-Dec-1795, m. in Barrshire, Edward Robson.
Feb. 13, 2004 : Edward Robson may have been the son of
Thomas Robson and Jane Dobie. Graeme Wall says: "I believe
Edward may have been a younger brother of Hugh Robson, an itinerant ploughman from Barthill region, who emigrated to
Argentina in 1825. If I am correct, then Hugh and Edward's parents were Thomas Robson and Jane Dobie."
Please see Graeme's
website for details on the descendants of Hugh Robson and Jane Ferrish.
- Jane Robson b. 15-Jul-1819, Barthill.
- Thomas Robson b. 28-Feb-1821, Barthill, occupation: Farmer. In Drunganns.
- Mary Robson b. 19-Oct-1822, Barthill.
- James Robson b. 31-Jan-1827, Barthill, d. 20-Aug-1862, Carsegowan.
- Hugh Robson b. 18-Sep-1829, Barthill. In Ardwell.
- Edward Robson b. 22-Oct-1835, Barthill.
- Elizabeth Robson b. 9-Jan-1839, Barthill.
- Alexander Dobie b. 29-Jul-1798, m. Elizabeth Robson, b.
__-___-1794, d. 2-Jun-1860, Carsegowan. Had children. Was alive in 1873, a farmer in Ardwell, Kirkban.
- Hugh Dobie b. 10-Jul-1827, Lingandbrae?.
- James Dobie b. 16-Mar-1830, Arnfield?.
TOP OF PAGE
The "Gracie Tree", Part Three
- Alexander Dobie, b.1728, m.(1) Rebecca Palmer, b. 1723, d. 10-Apr-1783,
m.(2) Janet Craig, b. 1755, d. 27-Apr-1825. Alexander died 29-Jan-1810,
Leangate. This man was placed on the trunk of the tree above
John (m. Jean Lawson) and Alex. (b. 1748). The tree may
indicate he was the son of William Dobie and Jean Bell, but
William's birth year was 1724. He is placed in a separate line
until it is sorted out. Tree says "issue by both", but very
few birth dates given for children. Undated children assigned to Rebecca Palmer.
- William Dobie (son of Alexander Dobie and Rebecca Palmer.) No children.
Sept. 19, 2008 : Updated information, including census data, was
provided on the family below, by Ish Alvardo:
- Robert Dobie (son of Alexander Dobie and Rebecca Palmer)
m.(1) Mary Little on 04/10/1833. Mary d. 16-Dec-1848. Robert m.(2) Janet
McMurdo on 09 Dec. 1851 at Dumfries (per LDS website).
The Tree says 4 children by Mary Little and 3 children by
Janet McMurdo. Children arbitrarily assigned to mothers based on position on branch of tree.
- James Dobie (son of Robert Dobie and Mary Little).
- Jane Dobie, b. 25/12/1834, d. 03/02/1909 (daughter of Robert Dobie and
Mary Little), m. on 06/06/1855, Robert McGeorge (b. 22/11/1832, d. 03/03/1914).
- Robert Dobie McGeorge, b. 12/02/1871, d. 10/08/1951, m. Mary Jane Hunter.
- Janet Dobie (daughter of Robert Dobie and Mary Little).
- Marion Dobie (daughter of Robert Dobie and Mary Little).
- Sarah Dobie (daughter of Robert Dobie and Janet McMurdo).
- Agnes Dobie (daughter of Robert Dobie and Janet McMurdo).
- Margaret Dobie (daughter of Robert Dobie and Janet McMurdo).
The above family in the 1841 census (provided by Ish Alvardo)
Residence : Queensbury Street, Dumfries
This family in the 1851 census
- Robert Dobie, 30 yrs, Grocer
- Mary Dobie, 30 yrs, Grocer
- Jane Dobie, 7 yrs, daughter
- Marion Dobie, 4 yrs, daughter
- Mary Little, 15 yrs, servant
Residence: Queensbury Street, Dumfries
This family in the 1861 census
- Robert Dobie, 41 yrs, Widower
- Jane Dobie, 16 yrs, daughter
- Agnes Dobie, 8 yrs, daughter
- ? Margaret Dobie, 4 yrs, daughter
Residence not stated
- Robert Dobie, 57 yrs
- Janet Dobie, 40 yrs
- Agnes Dobie, 18 yrs
- William Dobie, 15 yrs
- Margaret Dobie, 14 yrs
- James Dobie, 8 yrs
- Janet Dobie, 7 yrs
- ??? Dobie, 4 yrs
- James Dobie (son of Alexander Dobie and Rebecca Palmer)
m. Mary Robson. Factor at Low Houses, Carlaverock. Mary: of Catherinefield.
- Jane Dobie
- Marion Dobie
- John Dobie (son of Alexander Dobie and Janet Craig) b. 1800,
m. on 23 Sept., 1823, Janet Somerville, (daughter of Hugh Somerville). John
died 6 Feb., 1845. Was the Rev. U.P. Minister of Langholm.
- Janet Dobie, m. William Little. Janet died 1 May 1850, aged 25, at Langholm (per L.A.C.).
- William Little
- John Dobie Little County book (sic), Preston.
- Janet Little Died.
- Jane Dobie No children.
- John Dobie, m.(1)Mary Limont (died 4 Oct. 1865 per L.A.C.), m.(2)Elizabeth
Seton. Is the Rev'd D. of the U.P.Church Shamrock St., Glasgow.
- John Somerville Dobie (son of John Dobie and Elizabeth Seton).
- Margaret Seton Dobie (daughter of John Dobie and Elizabeth Seton).
- Alexander Brodie Seton Dobie (son of John Dobie and Elizabeth Seton).
- Janet Somerville Dobie (daughter of John Dobie and Elizabeth Seton).
- Agnes Dobie, m. Andrew Telfer, Aug. 7, 1867 (per L.A.C.) Andrew: Tree says "issue 3",
but only 2 children are shown. Andrew was a merchant in Montreal (per L.A.C.).
- Janet Somerville Telfer, m. Rev. John MacGillivray of Montreal, in Toronto on
Sept. 7th, 1893. Among the witnesses is Catherine Telfer of Toronto. (Ontario marriage record #014997).
- Agnes Telfer MacGillivray, b. Nov. 18, 1894 in Toronto. Informant was
Andrew Telfer of 72 St. Alban St., Toronto. (Ontario birth record #042842.)
- Catherine Jane Telfer
- Hugh Dobie, b. 3 June, 1831, m. on 12 Aug. 1864 at Enzieholm, Westerkirk, Margaret Scott,
daughter of late John Scott, Watcarrick (per L.A.C. & Bev. McDonald). Hugh was a book agent,
writer, and Chief Magistrate at Langholme. He died 5 Sept., 1873.
- John Dobie, b. 6 June, 1865 at Langholm, m.11 July, 1905, at Canonbie, Margaret Cowan.
- Margaret Edith Dobie, b. 10 Oct., 1910, m. in 1937 in South Africa, Ian Alastair McDonald.
- Son, died young.
- Margaret Scott Dobie
- Edith Mary Dobie
- Alice Somerville Dobie
- Hugh James Dobie
- James Dobie, died June 1, 1859, aged 26. Of the Manchester & Liverpool District Bank (per L.A.C.)
- William Dobie, m. in August 1865, at St. Agnes, Liberton, Edinburgh, Emily Williams Fullarton
(born Scotland), 3rd daughter of Andrew Fullarton. At time of marriage William was a surgeon
in Templesowerby, but by the 1881 census he was an M.D. at Keighly, Yorkshire.
The above is a mix of Gracie Tree, 1881 Census and L.A.C. info.
- John Nicholson Dobie (b. 1867 Temple Sowerby, Westmorland, England)
- William Fullarton Dobie (b. 1868 Temple Sowerby, Westmorland, England)
- Hugh Somerville Dobie (b. 1869 Keighley, York, England)
- James Gordon Dobie (b. 1871 Keighley, York, England)
- Agnes C. Dobie (b. 1873 Keighley, York, England)
- Mary Dobie (b. 1878 Keighley, York, England)
- Joseph Dobie. Died in infancy.
- Joseph Dobie, died 28 Nov., 1862, aged 24, at Greenbank, Langholm (per L.A.C.).
- Mary Dobie, died 15 July, 1858, aged 17, at Greenbank, Langholm (per L.A.C.).
- Eleanor Dobie. No children.
- Agnes Dobie (daughter of Alexander Dobie and Janet Craig) b. 1802, m. unknown Scott.
Unknown: Of Tortherwald.
- Joseph Dobie (son of Alexander Dobie and Janet Craig) b. 1804, m. Mary Haining.
Farmer in Broom by Annan. Alive in 1875, residing in Dumfries. Mary: Hightown of Craigs.
- The following is a mix of Gracie Tree and 1881 Census info:
John Dobie, b. 15-Apr-1838, Broom Farm by Annan, m. Jessie Turner, (b. 1845
in Scotland). Was a merchant in Preston in 1874. Jessie: of Dumfries.
1881 census: Dwelling: 86 Mount Pleasant; Census Place: Barrow In Furness,
Lancashire, England. Source: FHL Film 1342024; PRO Ref RG11; Piece 4285; Folio 88; Page 4.
- James Turner Dobie, b. 18-May-1869, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
- John Dobie, b. 18-Dec-1870, Preston, Lancashire, England
- Mary Isabella (J. in census) Dobie, b. 17-Feb-1873, Preston (Scotland in census).
- Jessie M. H. Dobie, b. 1880, Barrow, Lancashire, England
- James Dobie b. Nottingham.
- Jane Dobie
TOP OF PAGE
The "Gracie Tree", Part Four
Alexander Dobie m. Isabella Craik. Since they named their eldest
daughter "Jean Black", it is reasonable to assume that
Alexander is a grandchild of Alexander Dobie (b.1748) & Jean
Black, but there is no indication of how he fits. He was
placed at the top of the trunk after John Dobie (b.1780, m.
Marion Burgess), so he has been removed to a separate list.
Registry Office dates are used where they differ from dates on the tree. Farmer in Hardbush.
- James Dobie, b. 11-Dec-1841, Hardbush. Birth date on Gracie tree differs by 3 years.
- Jean Black Dobie, b. 14-Sep-1842, Hardbush. Date on
Gracie Tree differs by 2 years.
- Janet Dobie, b. 22-Sep-1845, Hardbush.
- Marion Dobie, b. 18-Jun-1847, Hardbush.
- John Dobie, b. 3-Jun-1850, Hardbush.
- Margaret Dobie, b. 3-Jun-1850, Hardbush.
- Mary Dobie, b. 5-Jul-1853, Hardbush.
- Robert Dobie, b. 26-Aug-1856.
- Alexander Dobie, b. 24-Dec-1862.
TOP OF PAGE
The "Gracie Tree", Part Five
in Australia has a
copy of the Gracie Tree brought to Australia by his great-grandfather, William Miller
in 1909. In this copy, William Dobie is descended from Alexander Dobie, "Farmer in
Tinwald in 1720". The Miller birth dates are from a family register in possession of Geoff's father.
William Dobie m. Anne Wilkins, d. __-___-1783. In Holmains. This
line is on an excerpt of the "Gracie Tree", probably in
Kirkpatrick Dobie's writing, showing William & Anne Wilkins
between two Alexanders, one died 1636, the other dated 1718.
The placement just doesn't make sense (but see the note about Geoff
Miller's version of the Tree, above). A note says the tree is in
posession of E.N. Blacklock, solicitor, Dumfries. (No such note on Geoff Miller's tree).
- William Dobie m. Janet Wright. Janet: Of Bengall.
- John Dobie b. __-___-1793, m. Elizabeth Earnshaw.
(Geoff Miller's copy of the Gracie Tree calls her Elizabeth
Ease?ose). Birth dates below supplied by Geoff Miller.
- Janet Dobie, b. 22 July, 1822, m. June, 1845, in Norwood, Hugh Miller.
- James Miller b. 8 Aug 1846
- Margaret Miller b. 18 May 1848
- Mary Miller b. 27 May 1850
- Elizabeth Miller b. 11 July 1852
- Grace Miller b. 31 Dec 1854
- John Miller b. 24 April 1857
- Hugh Miller b. 20 Sept 1859
- Jacob Miller b. 1 Sept 1862
- William Robert Miller b. 13 April 1865, m. 27 July 1898 at Dalston, Hackney, London, Jessie
Strathearn McClure, b. 20 Oct 1876, d. 1946, buried in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. William
d. 1 June 1947, buried in Miles, Queensland, Austraila. William and Jessie emigrated to Australia in 1909.
- Jessie Pollock Miller, b. 15 June 1899
- Hugh McClure Miller, b. 30 Aug 1900, d. 23 June 1983, m. Esther Eleanor Cleeland,
b. 15 Jan 1913, d. 1977.
- (4 children and at least 4 grandchildren. Information on living people is omitted)
- Sheila Strathern Miller, b. 17 Aug 1904 (they have
changed the spelling of Strathearn to Strathern)
- Bethea Grace Margaret Miller, b. 5 July 1914. She was born in Toowoomba, Queensland Australia.
- John Dobie, b. __-___-1824. Farmer, Th[ro?]ds of Kirkmichael.
- Elizabeth Dobie, b. __-___-1826, m. D. Halliday, a farmer, Paulends.
- Christopher Halliday.
- John Halliday.
- Elizabeth Halliday.
- Margaret Halliday.
- Janet Halliday.
- James Halliday.
- Christopher Halliday.
- William Dobie, b. __-___-1795.
- Mary Dobie, b. __-___-1798.
- James Dobie, b. __-___-1801.
- Elizabeth Dobie, b. __-___-1803.
- Jacob Dobie, b. __-___-1806.
- James Dobie.
- Mary Dobie.
- Catherine Dobie.