|In the matter of the family history of Joshua Coatsworth Dobie, of the City of Port Arthur in the District of Thunder Bay, in the Province of Ontario, Merchant.|
I, William Currie Dobie, of the City of Port Arthur in the District of Thunder Bay and Province of Ontario, Police Magistrate, DO SOLEMNLY DECLARE as follows:
1. I was born in Liverpool, England, on the 1st day of September, 1839;
2. My father's name was John Dobie and he was a native of Dumfrieshire, Scotland;
3. My mother's maiden name was Isabella Russell and she was also a native of Dumfrieshire, Scotland;
4. The maiden name of my wife, the mother of the above named Joshua Coatsworth Dobie, was Sarah Dorothy Coatsworth, and she was born in the State of Missouri, one of the United States of America, on the 17th of June, 1842. Her mother was Sarah Bowman, a native of the State of Pennsylvania one of the said United States;
5. The father of the said Sarah Dorothy Coatsworth was named Joshua Coatsworth and he was born in the County of Durham, England;
6. The above named Joshua Coatsworth Dobie was born at Bruce Mines in the District of Algoma and Province of Ontario on the 5th day of October, 1870, and his birth was registered within thirty days thereafter under the name of John David Dobie. Subsequently, and in or about the month of July, 1871, the said Joshua Coatsworth Dobie was baptized at Chatsworth, Ontario, by The Reverend James Cameron a Presbyterian Minister, and at the time of his said baptism the name Joshua Coatsworth Dobie was given to him for the first time, and he has since always been known and called by the name of Joshua Coatsworth Dobie, although at the registration of his birth as above mentioned he was called John David Dobie;
7. I was married to the said Sarah Dorothy Coatsworth at Bruce Mines aforesaid on Saturday, the 15th April, 1865, by The Reverend J. Roadhouse, a Methodist Minister, and my said wife died on the 1st day of August, 1879;
8. I remember distinctly the facts and circumstances connected with the registration of the birth of the said Joshua Coatsworth Dobie under the name of John David Dobie, as the said registration was made by myself. I also remember distinctly that the name of Joshua Coatsworth Dobie was first given to my said son at the time of his baptism, and I know that my said son, who is now known and called by the name of Joshua Coatsworth Dobie, is the same person whose birth was registered under the name of John David Dobie as above mentioned.
AND I make this solemn Declaration conscientiously believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath and by virtue of the Canada Evidence Act, 1893.
DECLARED before me at the City of Port Arthur in the District of Thunder Bay and Province of Ontario, Canada, this thirteenth day of March. A. D. 1908.
[signed] W. McBrady
[signed] W.C. Dobie
A Notary Public in and for the Province of Ontario, as witness my official Seal.
William McBrady, Barrister Etc., Port Arthur, Canada.