CONTAINING DOBIE RECORDS
All links were updated and verified as working on February 16, 2018.
Please notify me if you find a broken link.
These links are in no way complete, but may give you some hints about where you can find
public records based on surname. None of these
databases are restricted to the Dobie name, so you can search for any surnames you wish.
In addition, if you click in the box to the left, this free site will create different
GoogleTM searches using tips or "tricks" that will likely improve your genealogy search
results. Just provide what you know about an ancestor and the site will set up the best searches for you, based on
what you enter.
This link takes you to someone else's website. Some or all of the search results may be links to
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- I found 44 Dobie, 74 Dobbie and 30 Dobby records, mostly from Great Britain
but also from Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
- Dobie Message Board on Rootsweb
- Very lightly used, but if you enter your query there you might
find someone researching your family. Highly recommended !
- Dobie Message Board on Genforum
- No longer active but is still maintained as a searchable archive of messages.
- This should
be your starting place regardless of where you are searching for records. Their list of databases is growing
daily, as fast as volunteers can transcribe them. Some collections have only the original images to view until they are
transcribed. And it's all free!
- Obituary Daily Times
- Search archived obituaries from mostly US and Canadian newspapers.
Mostly from the 1980's to now. Updated almost daily. Lots of Dobie and Dobbie records.
- Queensland historical index search.
- Births (1829-1918), Marriages (1829-1943) and Deaths (1829-1988).
Many Dobie and Dobbie records were found. Searches of the indexes are free and digital and/or paper
copies of the records may be purchased.
Library and Archives Canada.
- This should be your first place to search for a
Canadian surname. This central website has consolidated links to all National Archives databases --
some divorce and marriage records, indexes and images from most of the censuses. Also immigration records,
western land grants, and Canadian military databases. Literally millions of records which can be searched for free.
- Automated Genealogy's census indexes
- The 1901, 1906 and 1911 censuses are completely indexed, while
the 1851/2 census is partially indexed. Other indexing projects are also on-going, such as
connecting names in the 1901 census with WWI deaths, Halifax Explosion deaths, British Home children,
Dictionary of Canadian Biography, etc.
- Canadian Legion Magazine
- A searchable index of every surname mentioned since 1984. The
database is being pushed back further in time as resources permit. Dobie, Dobbie and Dobby records found.
- Canadian Virtual War Memorial
- I found four Dobie and five Dobbie records. Other Canadian military
records can be accessed through the Canadian Genealogy Centre website (see the silver box above).
- Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register
- Not a searchable database but you can easily follow
links to find your surname of interest. Read the instructions before trying. One Dobie and several Dobbie
baptisms are to be found.
- The Alberta Homestead Index 1870-1930
- This is an "all name" index which includes
the names of those who, for any reason, did not complete the homesteading process, as well as
those who received title to their land. Dobie and Dobbie records are to be found.
- The Glenbow Museum
- You can search and browse several different databases:
the archives collection, photographs, CPR Land Sales, newspaper clippings, plus many more. Dobie and/or
Dobbie records found in all of them.
- British Columbia Births, Marriages, Deaths, etc.
- Search the archives indexes for free. Digital copies of many
of the original records may be purchased. Huge number of Dobie, Dobbie, etc. records to be found. These records are a bit more
up-to-date than those on familysearch.org.
- Manitoba Vital Statistics
- Search Manitoba births more than 100 years ago, marriages more than
80 years ago, and deaths more than 70 years ago. Both Dobie and Dobbie records found.
- New Brunswick Provincial Archives
- Over 3,300,000 namnes from 37 databases are searchable
-- birth, marriage and
death records, as well as land grants & petitions, directories, passenger lists, etc..
Several Dobie and Dobbie records found.
- Newfoundland's Grand Banks Census Material
- This website has partial and complete
censuses from 1675 to 1945 (Canadian census privacy regulations don't affect Newfoundland before it
became part of Canada). This website also has links to countless other searchable Newfoundland records.
You can't search the complete database at once -- each community or census district
must be searched separately. I didn't look for Dobie records, but you well may find some.
- Archives nationales
- Access a large number of databases,
one of which has records going back to 1639. In one of them -- Inventaire des mariages non-catholiques de la région de Montréal
1766-1899, I found many Dobie and Dobbie records as well as the Meikle-Lovell marriage of my great-great
grandparents. Click on the "English" link to see the English language version.
- McCord Museum, Montreal
- Only the collection of photographs can be searched by
surname, and only one Dobbie record was found, however there is a wealth of Meikle, Lovell and
Greenshields photos, all connected to the Dobie family (at least to mine).
- Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal
- The searchable database has been removed and
there is a charge for them to look up names.
- Notre-Dame-des-Neiges Cemetery, Montreal
- Over a million interments since its founding in 1855.
They have removed the on-line search feature and you have to physically go there to use their search terminals.
- Saskatchewan Vital Statistics
- Only birth records older than 100 years and deaths before 1917 are on-line now.
(Feb. 2018 -- nothing has changed since at least 2011)
but the others will follow eventually. Three Dobie births and deaths and seven Meikle births and two Meikle
deaths so far.
Back to the top of this page.
- Free BMD
- FreeBMD is an ongoing project, the aim of which is to transcribe the
Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales, and to
provide free Internet access to the transcribed records. Currently has over 266 million records.
A staggering number of Dobies were found on a search of the complete database.
- National Archives Documents
- A huge and ever-growing website containing hundreds
of thousands of searchable indexes. Copies of the actual records can be purchased on-line. I found
many records of all spellings of Dobie -- military records, wills, etc. Check out the wills
especially as almost half of them are of men serving on ships.
- London: Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674 to 1913
- A fully searchable online edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of
non-elite people ever published, containing accounts of 197,745 criminal trials held at
London's central criminal court. Names of accused, accusers, witnesses, jury members, etc.
Many Dobie, Doby and Dobby records found.
- The Soldier in Later Medieval England
- Three databases of medieval military records from the National Archives are searchable by
name, regiment, rank, etc.
I found an Alexandre Dobyson in the Muster Database and in the Garrison
Database I found a Doby who was an archer at the garrison of Carentan in Normandy in 1424.
- Muster Database of 90,000 records for the years 1369 - 1453;
- Protection Database of just under 20,000 records for the years 1369 - 1453;
- Garrison Database of over 110,000 records for the years 1415 - 1453. This database is still
being added to.
Feb., 2018 : I got one hit when I tested --
Thomas Doby, archer (foot), Garrison of Carentan. (1424 Muster Roll).
- Dumfries & Galloway Gazetteer
- No surnames obviously, but it lists most of the towns and villages
of the region with places of interest including archaeological,
historical and protected sites, buildings of note and nature reserves.
- Stewartry of Kirkcudbright Historical Index
- Monument inscriptions, newspaper marriage and death notices, historical articles, places and
placenames, etc. All are searchable.
Two Dobbie and many Dobie references found from early 1800's up to modern times.
- Morayshire Heritage Services
- Click on "People", in the left frame, then on
"People Search". Dobie and Dobbie records found.
- The Scotsman Digital Archive
- Every issue of The Scotsman from 1817 to 1950.
Searching the Archive is free, but you must purchase a subscription to view the articles in full.
I searched the full database and had over 1000 hits each for Dobie and Dobbie, 265 for Dobby, and 151 for Doby,
from a total of 8,662,382 articles.
Back to the top of this page.
- Castle Garden -- America's first immigration center
- Offers free access to a database of information on 10 million immigrants
from 1830 through 1892, the year Ellis Island opened. Over 73 million Americans can trace
their ancestors to this early immigration period. I found many records for all spelling variations
- Federal Land Patents Databases
- This site offers researchers a source of information
on the initial transfer of land titles from the Federal government to individuals. In addition
to verifying title transfer, this information will allow the researcher to associate an
individual (Patentee, Assignee, Warrantee, Widow, or Heir) with a specific location (Legal
Land Description) and time (Issue Date). Each state must be searched separately so I tried only
five or six states, and I found one
or more Dobie surnames in California, North Dakota, Washington, and Oregon.
- The National Archives
- This page is the gateway into countless searchable databases
ranging from 1800 to modern times.
- Social Security Death Index
- This database lists over 90 million names dating from as
early as the 1930s. All varieties of Dobie spellings found.
- World War II Enlistment Records
- Both regular military and Reserve Corps records can be
searched separately. All spelling variations of Dobie were found.
- Illinois State Archives Global Database Search
- Search all databases on the Illinois
State Archives web site containing name fields for the name you enter. A list of all databases
containing the name you enter will be returned. Simply click on a database from the list which
is returned to search for the record in that database. Records found for all spelling variations of Dobie.
- Minnesota Historical Society Search
- Record types are: Birth (1900-34), Death (1904-2001), State Census (1849-1905),
Veterans Graves (1857-1975), and Collections Online. You can purchase copies of the actual
certificates for a reasonable fee. Many Dobie and Doby records found.
- Genealogy and Biography
- A page of links to many other databases including census
and newspaper indexes. They had a very usefull Naturalization database for all North Dakota counties which
they only mention on the website but they've dropped the link (May, 2016).
- North Dakota Public Death Index
- Records from Jan. 1, 1881 to a year ago may be searched,
but only in 10-year batches. Dobie and Dobbie records were found. You can purchase certified copies
of a death record but you must provide photo id to do so.
- West Virginia Vital Research Records
- Birth, marriage and death records, but not yet for all
years or counties. I found records for Dobie, Dobbie and Doby. This database is
still being built so records are being continuously added.
- Wisconsin Vital Records
- Search vital records by last name, first name, county, and/or event year.
There are more than 1,000,000 births, 400,000 deaths and 1,000,000 marriages before 1907.
Sixteen Dobie, one Dobbie, and three Doby records found.
Back to the top of this page.